Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Race Day 3 - Aspen finish

I. Am. Freaking. Exhausted.

If it wasn't for this blog, I wouldn't know what race day it was. And it's only Stage 3.

Up early this morning, getting stuff ready and loading up the team for the shuttle from Crested Butte to Gunnison. The team was in a good mood today on the bus, chatting more than I have seen before. Levi even showed up at the RV with a Durango Fire and Rescue cap on!


I had a chance to chat with Durango's own Chris Wherry at the Start, which was good timing because Tyler Farrar came up to say hello and I had a chance to meet him. Chris told me this great story about how Tyler had rented a condo from a friend for the Durango start, and when Chris drove his team car up beside Tyler during the 1st Stage, Tyler returned the key while racing!

I also chatted with Bob Roll again - he even said good morning and gave me a pat on the shoulder - this uniform works wonders I guess.

Levi gave me money to go buy the team coffee at The Bean, which was around the corner from the start. He wouldn't let me pay. I am liking this guy more and more.

After the team headed to the start, I did the 4 hour drive around the long way (thru Hotchkiss and over McClure pass) to Aspen. They wouldn't let support vehicles on Independence Pass. What a drive - we just made it in time to drop off all our gear at the hotel and head to the Team Area to receive the riders. I completely blame the rush on Tom Danielson, who tore it up today! I was the team member who had to stand at the end of the Finish and receive the riders, giving them a quick drink and directing them to the team area. So - ringside seat when Tommy D came roaring down the finish, followed by the pack! Amazing - gives me goosebumps just thinking about it.

So, bikes are all tuned and clean, cars are all fueled and washed, bottles filled and chilled, RV spic and span and ready for tomorrow. Again the ride goes over Independence Pass, this time from Aspen, and on to Beaver Creek. They finish at the top of the climb up to Beaver tomorrow, so I need to drive around the long way through Glenwood Springs, beat them to finish, and be waiting at the top to shuttle them down to the hotel. Another crazy busy day.

Here is a little bonus for you - Tommy D getting interviewed by Franky right after the race. The shot right at the end was taken right beside me as he crosses the line!

Off to dinner.


No comments:

Post a Comment