Friday, August 24, 2012

Race Day 5`

Howdy from Colorado Springs! The home of over 100 evangelical religious organizations, and the finish of Stage 6 which started in Breckenridge.

An early start this morning due to the fact that the hotel was at the top of Beaver Creek, and the Team area was at the bottom. Numerous shuttles to get the mechanics to the bottom to prep the bikes and load the cars, get the team to breakfast, load the luggage, and hit the road.

I had to run the team from Beaver to the start in Breck. It felt like there was a gloom over the team due to the Lance thing, which I will post about later. I had some fun with Levi today - we were following the Radio Shack entourage down I-70, and I decided to take the first exit to Breck, while the Radio Shack crew went on to the second. Levi was a little concerned that they went a different way - I went through the downtown area and then pulled out onto Highway 9 about 3 blocks ahead of them. I told Levi that it was just like the race - follow Radio Shack for a while, keeping a low profile, and then pop out in front of them when the time was right! I got a laugh.

Then of course we had a hiccup - pulled into the Team area and fired up the RV generator, which immediately started spewing spoke and felt like it was going to blow up, so had to shut that down.

All worked out - team got to the line, I scooted ahead of the pack and pulled into CO Springs in time, set up, and met Bernard at the finish so that we could meet the team as they came across, give them drinks, and direct them back tot he RV. Levi was randomly picked for a doping test today, so we dealt with that and then hit the road to the hotel.

More to come - tomorrow will be an amazing day, is my guess :-)


No comments:

Post a Comment